May 17, 2012
Who says cake is just for special occasions? Every season, Silverleaf Pastry Chef Curtis Horka teaches Silverleaf Club members how to make the perfect cake in his “From Scratch” baking class. As much fun as baking is, many members are even more excited to learn about frosting and decorating techniques as they are about baking cakes and other tasty desserts.
“From Scratch” is a great time for Chef Horka to teach all his favorite baking tips to Silverleaf Club members so they can learn to make their own perfect, polished cakes and cupcakes. Chef Horka teaches mixing methods for the best textured cake; oven tips and the best way to bake your cakes and cupcakes; icing inspirations and demonstrations that everyone can do at home; great cake making and decorating tools; cost effective baking tips that will produce quick results; and tips for writing personalized messages in chocolate.
Try Chef Horka’s delicious recipe for Yellow Butter Cake!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour (or you can spray with a non-stick vegetable/flour spray) two 9” x 1 1/2” inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture (in three additions), and milk (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared pans, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula or back of a spoon.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool in their pans for about 10 minutes.
After you bake a cake or cupcakes for a special occasion, skip the canned frosting and make your cake extra delicious with Chef Horka’s mouthwatering Chantilly cream icing! This recipe makes about 2 cups of whipped cream.
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or a ½ vanilla bean
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- Place your mixing bowl and wire whisk in the freezer for about 15-30 minutes.
- Place all the ingredients in the cold bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
- If you are not using the frosting immediately, cover and refrigerate.
Located in the heart of North Scottsdale, the Silverleaf Club is part of the renowned Silverleaf/DC Ranch community and is nestled in the canyons of the McDowell Mountains, tucked into the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. The exclusive private club features one of the most sought after Scottsdale golf courses and spas in Arizona.